A classic question, revisited: what are the five items you must have on a deserted island?
Thanks for the prompt suggestion, Sue Perry!
With my luck my deserted island would not be in the South Pacific, with women in grass skirts living next door. My island would no doubt be somewhere in the Arctic region.
1. I must have insulated coveralls with a hood and fur mittens. When the first polar bear stops to visit, I will ask him to hang up his coat. Then I will try to get him mad enough to leave without taking his coat along. There is a chance that might not work.
2. I must have a harpoon, big enough to get a small whale or a seal but small enough for fish.
3. I must have the strongest magnifying glass made. I can use solar power to start a fire with dry seaweed and moss, hopefully keep the fire going with driftwood and fat from seals or walrus.
4. I must have a saw or sharp ice ax to fashion ice blocks into an igloo.
5. I must have a satellite pick up my cellphone GPS. Being stranded there is one thing but I don’t want to live there.